Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bienvenidos a Sevilla!

It strange to realize that it is only lunch time at home, although my body feels every bit of it and my stomach is also reminding me of the meals I probably skipped in all the chaos of getting here. However, I guess that since most of my nerves were riding on whether or not I would actually get here, I can take a deep breath of the heated air of Sevilla. It is very hot and dry around 40 degrees Celsius which I will make a point to figure out in Farenheit soon.

The plane ride went well. Of course I ended up sitting by an American admist the array of Spaniards filling the seats around us. But although I didn´t sleep much, I think I was more awakened while staring at the red streaks across the sky at sunrise. When I arrived in Madrid, customs were almost too easy. After a long haul I found the metro. Of course they charge you for everything so I felt like I was buying tickets left and right..and asking the usual "This is the right bus, correct?" in my shaky Spanish. I made it fine to Atocha (the train station), but the first ticket I bought was mistakenly marked for the 13th of Sept. (Goodness, this would be a long wait.). After becoming good friends with the guy at the ticket counter (I saw him a third time bc he gave me 2 minutes to make the flight he fixed) I boarded the AVE. It was a very cool, comfortable means of travel but I felt like I was missing out on the sights everytime I drifted off. I woke up to hills and hills and hills...and hills of orange orchards outside sevilla. Incredible!

I was picked up by Pepe, the dad, and he explained the family and where he is from. He speaks some english but French is his second language ( a great asset to his many government jobs across Europe). Both He and Matilde have graciously welcomed me in and im excited about the living situation. I dont have wireless yet so skype might have to hold off a few days. Thanks for the prayers! Amidst all the craziness, it really went okay, and I am soo thankful for forcing myself to pack lightly. God is good. In my mind I just keep saying, "Tranquilo." There is undoubtedly a fun road ahead.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you made it! Praying for you and thinking bout ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! its your cousin Brittany! Adrian and I will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers! Enjoy yourself over there. I hope it turns out to be an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete