Sunday, September 6, 2009

Will you be my friend?

It is an experience of humility to sit with 10 spanish children and receive giggles at every faulty word of spanish that exits my mouth.



Friday, I decided to go to the pool and rest a bit. After 20 minutes of feeling like an obvious American, I began to watch a group of kids from the neighborhood playing cards. Every memory of the moments of not getting picked for kickball came flooding back. And there I was, a college student, asking a group of 6-14 year old kids if I could play with them. At first, they were not sure how to react. But within minutes, they graciously began to teach me and ask me questions about myself. I returned to my house claiming that I had my first spanish friends! (Of course they reminded me that I seemed to be only 15 years old. Yes, I'm aware of this.) When we returned today, I couldn't believe how exciting is was for them to scream, "HOLA REBECCA!" It doesn't take much.







And it has been little things like these which God has continued to use to unfold purpose for me here. I get along very well with my host parents and they have been incredible towards me as well as very gracious! For you to remember...They are not believers. Anything that is not Catholicism is grouped with Protestantism. This creates a bit of confusion.





Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit with the missionaries who live in Sevilla. They have a wonderful family and I know I will enjoy spending time with them. I was able to attend a spanish church with them this morning. Also, they explained the English club with takes place at my university in order to set up opportunites for conversations later on. (It reminds me of young life style.) There is another "semester student" at UPO who is here with the same mindset. He too has been praying hard for other believers to be there. Ironic? No.



And the culture? Incredible. I have only seen pieces of downtown but the history of every brick has me almost standing in awe constantly. I met a few more Americans and an Australian from my program (one being my very sweet housemate) and we went into the city tonight. Night life really is important because during the day it is hot hot hot! Yet, I'm looking forward to even more of this exploring! It feels as if I am walking through a movie.







School starts tomorrow. I have a language exam so I pray the practice of these past few days will pay off a bit. I am learning that it is normal to get very little sleep as well as have alot of free time. Here, life is something to be taken in and enjoyed.













3 comments:

  1. Look at you being all Spainish.....I am so glad things are going so well. The Lord does honor your preparation and open heart. You are awesome and He will do great things through you. Hooray! Praying for you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so good! I am thankful you are enjoying your host family. It is exciting to meet new friends. I am proud of you! Praying for you this week as you adjust to your classes. I am sure the night life is exciting there....it looks beautiful!
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting so we can share your experiences! We are praying as we know that your sweet spirit is contagious!!! Let the Lord love through you!

    ReplyDelete