Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Road to Spanish Trend Setting

After what feels like two weeks of packing, coffee dates, and a continuous smiling reply of "Yes, I'm ready"...I truly am. I grew frustrated as all my friends fled back to Boone, thrilled about the weekends ahead of hiking and car tag. In a way, it has been hard to sit at home while knowing a semester at Appalachian is already beginning and moving fast.

With the frustration aside, I cannot express the sweet moments I have had with the Lord over the past few days. After many sleepless nights, I recognized there were anxieties which I needed to think through, pray through, and commit to leave at the throne. Really...why doubt Him now?

To back up a bit...

Months ago, I spent hours filling out an application to study in Argentina from July through November. I knew South America was where I wanted to go. I feel like there they would accept both me and my chacos. I was accepted to the school but still had to go through a phone interview (yes..in Spanish). This was not too easy. Yet, after all of this and a number of closed doors for summer camp jobs due to the schedule, everything fell through during my last day in Boone.

My dad and I committed to pray for two days and figure out my options. I had nothing set up at Appalachian for the fall. Therefore, when I considered taking a semester off to do missions, I found an internship in Seville, Spain. With Argentina out of the question, my Spanish professor mentioned a school I should look into attending in the spring. Minutes later, my study abroad advisor offered this same school as an option for late application. Knowing I had just discovered ministry opportunities there as well, I agreed to apply.

With absolutely no waitress position available in the city, God opened up a door at Rich Fork. And I loved the summer! Spending time with my family, learning about myself and working with children, and growing under the spiritual mentors there...He knew I couldn't have picked something better for this summer.

And today, here I am. I do not know how I would approach this had I originally applied for Spain. I know for a fact that God wants the glory for this. And I am at a place where I only want Him to receive it. Deep breath...

-And of course, I am just going to wear my chacos anyway. (If you aren't sure...these are my favorite shoes that probably won't be considered "fashionable" in Spain. But does Europe really have to set all the trends?)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Friend,
    I'm so glad you are following my blog! I hope Spain is incredible for you! I agree that Europe doesn't have to set all the fashion trends! We will be praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete