Sunday, September 27, 2009

Rota probably knew we were coming


The plan: Go to la playa Rota to enjoy the last bit of hot sun before the fall hits.


First of all, Jenny and I gave ourselves plenty of time to make it to the bus station. Of course, after taking the metro about 19 times already, we surprised ourselves at the confusion a broken screen could cause when we realized we had missed the Prado stop. After turning around and getting on the returning metro, we sprinted to the bus and pulled away 30 seconds later.

We went to a beautiful beachtown named Rota which is halfway surrounded by the Atlantic and serves as a Naval base as well. We probably saw more water than we had originially intended as the largest amount of rain I have seen yet decided to introduce itself the moment we stepped off the bus. However, the beauty of creation cannot be diminished by a bit of rain! It was still incredible.

We met up with a few other girls and strolled through the quaint little pueblo, stopped at a bar to drink the ever so strong cafe con leche served throughout Espana, and were grateful for the awnings of the little shops even though they were mostly closed due to "siesta" time ( Two hours of almost silence each day which we continue to forget about when we make plans.)



As we drove back, I listened to the tranquilo jazz of Ben Sollee, which put me in the mood to gaze at el campo outside my window. (Of course, I deviate with thoughts of the ten foot Michellin Man statue we passed in Jerez. I really had nothing to make of this one.) Then I realized, I had thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

The moral of the story: It's more of an adventure when things don't go as planned. Vale la pena.




No comments:

Post a Comment