Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pare la locura!


I learned a new phrase today..."Pare la locura!" My roommate Jenny and I have the intention of writing a great Spanish drama to act out for our host parents before we leave. I will have to add this. It means..."Stop the madness!" How often does one get to use this phrase? Much less in Spanish? Can you believe they laugh at us (but "with us" I assume) all the time?...

It didn't take me by surprise when mis amigos in the neighborhood wanted a complete photoshoot to end their last day at the pool for the summer. I continue to look forward to seeing their faces when I step out to go for a run or head to the store...they always find a way to distract me, ask me sacar el perro (to walk the dog) or do cartwheels in the cactus-like grass...an event I leave with memorial scars. After a while, I thank them for the two hours I was able to spend doing something other than literature homework and blush slightly when they encourage me by saying my Spanish tends to be getting better each day.
One mother is an English teacher at the instituto and has been asking that I come and teach English every once in a while. I assume this will be great ESL practice. However, the art of learning English here must be accompanied by desperation to learn...something I have rarely come across. I can relate it to the lack of will to learn Spanish throughout the states.
Of course, it took, at most, two days before we found the closest and cheapest heladeria. A good sized portion of ice cream for two euros is able to fill our stomachs with the amount of sugar required for remaining sane each week. Our host mom is fairly healthy, so it is probably a good thing we do not have deserts lying around the kitchen. Yet, I do believe our visits to the heladeria will continue and that I will have tried every flavor before I leave. The long incomprehensible spanish names always present us with the option for a "surprise." Of course, I am rarely disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures. Such a cute bunch of girls in the neighborhood. I bet the ice cream is a tasty treat. It is great that you can use your English to assist others...you are right.... great ESL practice. Love you...keep on keeping on.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay- I just found you in blog world! Bailey was just saying the other day how much she missed you and that she hoped you were ok over there by yourself, but it looks as if you are def not by yourself!! Love you friend!
    Emily B

    ReplyDelete