Sunday, September 13, 2009

Why I should be sleeping instead of typing this right now.

After a great week (which became better and better as I grew used to the idea of some of my classes), the long awaited first weekend of hanging out in Sevilla arrived. I believe I was fairly warned about the late nights, but I had not prepared myself for the many nights in a row which last until 6 a.m. Yes, here this is normal and to our surprise, even the churro stand is open at 7. I had the opportunity of hanging out with spaniards which was a time that included activities such as practicing my spanish while conversing by the Rio Guadalquivir, growing in my knowledge of the likes and dislikes of the atmostphere of each discoteca, and even receiving a taste of the small town feria, which is a famous and very large "fair" that takes place in Sevilla every April.

And to add to the thrill of the weekend, God has been so faithful. First of all, I'm already getting connected with other believers on campus...students who desire to see Christ fill the campus. These have been really encouraging conversations! Also, my roommate and I were walking to the bank Saturday, and we were handed a brochure for a Christian church near our house. I spoke with the missionaries and they invited me to come. I felt very welcome when I entered this morning and see a passion these people have for this city. I can't wait to see what God does next!

Another thing...and I wished I could have called someone right after...I was sitting at breakfast and Pepe, my host dad, asked me what the differences were between Catholicism in Espana and Evangelicas Bautistas. This question is a big deal because in Spain, people really have no clue about a true relationship with Christ. I attempted to explain, by the grace of God, what walking with Christ has meant to me. It was very difficult in spanish. However, we agreed that we could sit down with the Bible later and walk through some things to make it more clear.

Continue to pray for my family. My host mom finds out Wednesday if she has to have surgery...from the halfway understood spanish, I think she found out she has cancer. The results of what the doctors say will really change alot of things, possibly even my stay at this house. However, because I really don't know, we are just praying for a miracle. Nothing surprises Him.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why the comments arent working...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhmmm looks like there are now. :) Praying for you and your household! Hope you got caught up on your sleep and are having a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete